The Taj Mahal||Agra India
Taj Mahal the wonders in Agra is a spectacular mausoleum built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan to honour the memory of his beloved wife,Arjumand Bano Begum.She is better known as Mumtaz Mahal.
A workforce of 20,000 Constructed it in 23 years between 1631 and 1654.
The Taj Mahal is generally considered the finest example of Mughal Architecture.Its style combines the elements of Islamic, Indian,Persian and Turkish architecture.It is an integrated complex of Structures.Its white domed marble mausoleum is the most familiar part of the monument.
Shah Jahan was a prolific patron with limitless resources.Even during the lifetime of Mumtaz he had created gardens and palaces of Shalimar in her honour.After her death in childbirth,he became inconsolable and began the construction of great monument.It has achieved special note because of the romance of its inspiration.
The Taj Mahal Complex has many design elements.The complex is set in and around a large charbag .A charbag is a formal Mughal garden divided into four parts.Each of four quarters of the garden is divided into sixteen flowerbeds by raised pathways.There is a raised marble water tank at the centre of the garden.One can see the reflection of the Taj Mahal in it.
The monument is built of white marble on the bank of the river yamuna.Its view in the night of the full moon is beyond description.It has been recognized as a World Heritage Site.It is also considered one of the seven wonders of the world.
A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983 for being the “jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world’s heritage”, a workforce of 20,000 from across India, Central Asia and Europe were employed to work on the Taj.
Taj Mahal the wonders Facts:
- A 1000 elephants were used to transport building materials for the construction of the Taj Mahal.
- The white marble came in from Makrana in Rajasthan, the jade and crystal came from China, the jasper from Punjab, the turquoise from Tibet, the Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan, the carnelian from Arabia.
- The famous inlay work on the marble has about 28 varieties of precious and semi-precious stones on Taj Mahal.
- The monument is built of white marble on the bank of river yamuna.
- Its view in the night of full of moon is beyond description.
Also read our other articles
Visiting time for Taj Mahal & Entry Gates
To know about visiting time and fees click here